Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Coconut Macaroon Ice Cream


I tried a new recipe out of Vice Cream. This coconut macaroon ice cream calls for coconut milk as part of the liquid instead of all water like many of the others. It also had cashews, maple syrup, toasted coconut, and vanilla and almond extract.

Once again I used 3/4 cup of maple syrup instead of the 1 cup it called for. I think the sweetener could be lowered even more in this recipe. It was pretty sweet and very rich. Plain ice cream cones would have been a good palate cleanser.

When I first tasted the ice cream while it was churning I wasn't that impressed. However, after I added the toasted coconut, at the end, I was in heaven. The toasted coconut makes this amazing.

You can change the recipe by adding cocoa and making it a Chocolate Coconut Macaroon but that sounded like to much to me. But after having tasted the original recipe I can only guess that the cocoa makes a great addition. Next time I'll be trying that.

4 comments:

lola coca-cola said...

That sounds delicious. My sister and I were once on a road trip, hitting pretty much every health food store along the road from San Rafael, CA to Grants Pass, OR. At one point we found chocolate coconut-based ice not-cream and, well, since we were on a road trip we had to eat the whole thing sitting on the curb outside the store. It was a major hardship.

KleoPatra said...

Oooooh, that does sound excellent, especially with the toasted coconut!

veganmomma said...

Nice work! We have an ice cream maker (gift from our wedding) that we've never used, probably good for these recipes! Now you have inspired me I think!

ZebraBelly: said...

have i pimped you tomberlie's ice cream, yet? it's raw vegan and delicious. http://tomberlies.com/ and not sure if there is any in stores out east, but they sell it at people's in OB and maybe whole food's la jolla? kimberlie and her husband tome are friends of mine :)