Saturday, July 28, 2007

Alternative Vegan

Joe is still off with my camera, so no pictures. Tonight for dinner I tried out two of Dino Sarma's recipes from Alternative Vegan. I made his Basic Broccoli and Baked Potato Rounds.

I had never thought to bake broccoli and that is the one thing that I will take away from this recipe. It had a nice texture. As for the seasoning, I didn't care for it. I used half the called for cayenne but it was still to spicy for the kids. I didn't really care for the citrus flavor, either.

The baked potato rounds are another story. Everyone loved these. Ramsey ate all of hers and I never see her finish anything. The potatoes bake pretty quickly and they have a nice seasoning. Next time I'll use more salt.

This afternoon when Teresa was over I made a double batch of Full Meal Muffins from The Vegan Lunchbox blog with 4 bananas on their last leg. I used 2 cups of whole wheat flour, 1 1/2 cups of white flour and a 1/2 cup of soy flour. I didn't have any zucchini so I used shredded carrots instead. We ground the walnuts into a meal because Marcos doesn't like chunks and none of use care. I also soaked the currants in hot water for a few minutes to add a bit of moisture that might be lacking since carrots aren't as juicy as zucchini.

These have a really awesome flavor. All of the kids liked them. The molasses wasn't over powering and they had a light banana flavor. Next time I will grate the carrots smaller. We ended up with 5 dozen mini-muffins. We threw them in some freezer Ziploc bags and now we can pull out a few at a time for kids snacks.

http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com/2007/02/full-meal-muffins.html

Over all it was a productive day. We had those great Acai bowls for breakfast again and I got a Romertopf Clay Baker to make the vegan "pork" tenderloin that Bryanna Clark Grogan demonstrates on the Everday Dish DVD. I ended up buying the wrong size so I need to go and exchange it. Oh well, I'll have to have another Acai bowl. Poor me.

2 comments:

veganmomma said...

thanks for the muffin idea!

Dino said...

I would be careful with the heat in the other recipes, in that case. A lot of them need to be severely adjusted down for people who are sensitive to heat. Might I suggest a paprika, which will have a little bit of a kick but not the strong bite of chilies in other recipes calling for chili powder? It will probably save on a lot of time!

Everyone who's made them loves the baked potato rounds. They're just so easy to throw together, and like you said, kids love 'em. It works equally well with yucca, or cassava, or sweet potatoes, or yams. :)