Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Gluten Free Vegan Celebration

My mom is allergic to wheat and has been really missing it. For the most part she's happy with keeping it out of her diet because desserts, breads and pastas are the easiest for her to over eat. Still all people get cravings.

So, for Mothers Day my sister Christy and I decided to surprise Mom with dinner. We planned it for Tuesday so that we could watch Gilmore Girls. We made a nice salad and followed that with rice spaghetti and marinara sauce. Then we were on to the desserts.

We got Bob's Red Mill GF baking mix to use in place of wheat flour in our recipes. We made brownies from a recipe on A Vegan Ice Cream Paradise. http://veganicecream.blogspot.com/2006/09/vegan-brownies.html We added in both a 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and a 1/2 cup of toasted walnuts. These were amazing! I will never use another brownie recipe. They were super rich. Next time I will use more walnuts.




We also made oatmeal raisin cookies, my moms favorite. They had a very good flavor but spread really thin. They ended up a bit crispy, which I like. My Earth Balance was very soft and I used mixed rolled grains instead of just oats. Adding to that we didn't use wheat flour. So, I really don't know which variable, if any, made these cookies so thin. It's still a recipe that I will be trying again. If they turn the same next time I will know in advance for when we want crispy cookies. http://www.almostvegan.com/archives/2004/06/completely_vega.html

Dinner was a success and we had a lot of fun.

1 comment:

KleoPatra said...

WOW! Nicely done. Cravings satisfied indeed. Cool post, too.