Saturday, August 18, 2007

"Mock" Tuna

I've had this recipe for "Mock Tuna Salad" saved in my favorites so that I would eventually get around to trying it. The recipe is from vegweb.com.


Recipe submitted by aurinia

Mock Tuna Salad

Ingredients (use vegan versions):
1 - 15oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2T. soy vegan mayonnaise or pureed silken tofu
1T. sweet pickle relish
2t. spicy brown mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:In small bowl, mash chickpeas. Add soy mayonnaise or silken tofu, pickle relish, mustard, salt and pepper and mix well. This is wonderful in a whole-wheat pita with sprouts and some chopped tomato!

Obviously, I finally got around to making this. I thought it was pretty good. I don't really think that it taste much like tuna but it's a good sandwich spread. I would not use as much mustard next time as it's not my favorite. I also added about a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to give it a little bit of zing.

It's worth trying out if you have a can of chickpeas sitting around.

No comments: