Thursday, August 23, 2007

Biscuits and Gravy

I had a craving for biscuits and gravy for some odd reason. I'm not from the south and I didn't grow up having this dish. Anyway, Joe hates biscuits and gravy so I waited for a day when I knew that he wouldn't be home for dinner.

Joe was teaching last night and it was finally my chance to satisfy my craving. Both the Country-Style Biscuits recipe and the gravy recipe came from Hot Damn and Hell Yeah. The gravy had faux sausage from Trader Joe's. While it was simmering it didn't really look like much. Actually, it looked just like something you could get from Denny's. I was a bit apprehensive that the gravy would end up a bit sweet because of the soy milk. My worries were unfounded and the gravy was good. It needed more salt and pepper but it tasted just like any other terrible for you breakfast gravy.

The biscuits had a nice flavor with a flakiness to them. I rolled mine a bit to thin but they still stood up well to the gravy. The peas and corn were just last minute additions when I decided the meal looked pretty unhealthy.

Isaac, Teresa and I all liked how everything turned out. Ramsey liked the biscuits with butter and jam better then the sausage gravy, but she still took a few bites.

I would like these again for brunch or dinner, if Joe is out of town. The biscuit recipe will be getting some mileage being as it's very quick and very easy.

No comments: