Thursday, March 27, 2008

Cookie Experiments

It was a big hardship for me to sample all of these cookies but I persevered. These Nut Butter Cookies come from Raising Vegetarian Children. When I first saw the recipe it looked so simple I thought Isaac could do it by himself. The first batch I made used almond butter and were super. All the ingredients were nut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, and whole wheat pastry flour. Joe didn't like them but everyone else did.
For the next batch I only made a 1/4 batch. I used tahini for my nut butter. I was afraid that it would be to bitter but I still wanted to try. Tahini has such a strong flavor but it's so good for you. I love any chance to get it into the kids. The cookies did end up with a very strong sesame taste. The kids didn't like them to much. When all the other cookies where gone they did turn to these, though.
Last up was another 1/4 batch with half cashew butter and half tahini. These were much better then the plain tahini. You could hardly taste the sesame. They were also a bit more crisp. I'm out of almond butter now and can't try a combo with tahini but I will try peanut butter next.
Yummy asparagus, I love you. Along side the most perfect green vegetable is some more bread from Artisan Bread in 5 and some Indonesian Coconut Rice from Vegan Fire & Spice. We liked this rice quite a bit. I held back on the spices some but the kids still said it was to spicy. The adults all liked it and Sophia, the one year old at playgroup, liked it. It was a nice change of pace from the old plain rice.
Veggie Stirfry with Spicy Almond Sauce ala Vive le Vegan! I did not care for this. The kids hated it. Ramsey gagged and almost puked on her plate. The sauce maybe could have been ok if there wasn't so MUCH of it. Joe liked it. The man has no taste.
And tonight's dinner, Stuffed Twice-Baked Potatoes from Yellow Rose. These were just as awesome as last time even though I had no mushrooms. I doubled up on the shallots because in my book that's never a bad thing. I really do love this recipe. It's pretty quick to make once the potatoes are baked. hee hee, that rhymed.
That's all we've got going for now. We're gearing up for a big camping trip. A ton of friends are going along so we should have blast. Joe is already planning his beer. He's a man with priorities.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love baking with tahini--especially cookies. I find that when it's mixed with another nut butter (as you did with the cashew) it works really well. Oh, and chocolate chips help, too ;) .