Saturday, June 23, 2007

Lentil Barley Soup


I came across this Lentil & Barley Soup recipe somewhere online. We decided to try it out since we like lentil soup so much. I, of course, can't remember where I got it.

It was very good. It takes a bit longer then my other recipe, but there are more flavors. It's more soupy and less like a stew. This will probably replace my other lentil soup as our favorite. It helps that I love barley.

Lentil & Barley Soup

1/2 cup lentils
1/2 cup barley
2 cloves of garlic
2 diced potatoes
2 sliced carrots
2 stalks of celery, sliced
1 onion, diced
6-8 cups veggie stock
1/2 tsp. sage
1/2 tsp. basil
salt & pepper to taste

I used my pressure cooker but it would take 30-40 minutes in a regular stock pot.

Saute the onion, celery and carrots until tender.
Add the remaining ingredients.
Bring up to high pressure for 18 minutes.
You can use natural release or quick release.

Some crusty bread or toast with Earth Balance is great with this.

No comments: