Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Good Eats

I finally got around to making Vegan Momma's Black Bean Quinoa Salad. We used it to put on top of our tostadas. It was great! The kids did not like it but we didn't care.
Tofu Scramble with Yukon Gold and Sweet Potato Homefries from The Candle Cafe Cookbook. I didn't find the tofu scramble anything to write home about but the potatoes were amazing. They took a lot longer to cook then the recipe stated but the flavor was spectacular. I'll make them again with out the tofu scramble.
Rosemary Cornmeal Polenta Fries from edbv. The fries were the only new recipe tried on my plate. We liked them a lot. On some of the fries I added nutritional yeast to the coating. These were awesome. Next time I'll do that to all of them.
Mexican Wraps from Candle Cafe. These fell apart really fast but the taste was good. The citrus marinade for the tofu really adds a lot of flavor. This was the first time I've blanched the tofu before marinating it.
Maple Walnut Cookies from Vive le Vegan! Joe liked this cookies a lot but I really didn't care one way or another. They tasted only slightly different from a sugar cookie to me. They as have the soft texture of a sugar cookies. These weren't my favorite and I'd only make them again if someone asked for them specifically.
Apple Pie-Crumb Cake Muffins from vwav. These were good and we finished off the batch but they didn't have a very strong apple flavor. I was surprised. Maybe next time if I used a green apple there would be a more tart apple flavor. These would be worth try again.
Obviously I've gotten behind again. I've probably got another 3 posts this length before I'll run out of pictures. I don't really have a good excuse. Life, kids, home school. I won't promise that it won't happen again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything looks so good! (Polenta fries? Yes, please!). Re: tofu scramble, have you ever tried the one with curry paste from Moosewood Classics? If you don't have the cookbook, I'm going to be posting about it in the next week or so--always my favorite scramble. I found the Candle Cafe one very bland (as was Peter Berley's, at least to me).

lao80 said...

I haven't had that one. I've only had a few tofu scrambles that I've ever liked. I guess I'm picky.