Monday, December 17, 2007

Breakfast for dinner

Ok, pesto take 2. Even thought last weeks pesto was way to spicy I still wanted more. This time I used the exact same recipe from The Vegan Family Cookbook but I roasted the garlic. What a difference it made. Both children ate this without screaming about burning mouths. It was a much more mild garlic flavor but still a hint of garlic spice. I'll make it this way from now on.
We love having breakfast for dinner. Everything from pancakes and waffles to more labor intensive meals that I have no desire to make upon first waking. These Breakfast Burritos from Hot Damn were excellent. I left out the mushrooms which I'm sure no one is surprised about. The recipe calls for sliced red pepper but I really hate coming across big chunks. I'm pretty sure that's why I don't like fajitas. So anyway, I diced my bell pepper. The leftovers were good even cold. Ramsey snubbed this but Isaac thought that it was ok.
Vcon Red Lentil Cauliflower Curry with rice and homemade roti. This was excellent. It also reheated beautifully. I really thought it would end up much more spicy but it didn't. The kids were just fine with the seasonings. I have never cooked with a parsnip before, I'm actually not sure if I've ever even ate one. I loved it. It was like a more flavorful potato. I loved scooping up big bites with rice on my roti. Yum! This will be made again.
Raspberry Cornmeal Pancakes from edbv. BLAH BLAH BLAH. That's about all I can say. There was no flavor. I really thought that the raspberries would help out a little more. I dumped half of mine into the trash. This was also something we threw together for dinner.
Coconut Curry Tofu On Green Jasmine Rice. Say that three times fast. This is also from Hot Damn. This was not kid friendly at my house but Joe and I loved it. We both ate the leftovers for lunch today. The kids took one look at the green rice and started complaining. I'm not a big fan of tofu that isn't fried or crumbled beyond recognition but I did like this. I'm also not super fond of chunks of cooked tomatoes in my food. The sauce and tofu were wonderful and the bites of tomato added that extra juicy citrus it needed. The green rice was the perfect accompaniment. It almost had a pesto taste to it but the coconut milk gave it a Thai flair.

Next week will have Vegan Lamingtons. It's a twinkie filled with raspberry jam, covered in chocolate and rolled in coconut. I will be bringing them to park day on Wednesday. I'm pretty sure I'll be making some cookies also.

No comments: