Monday, October 15, 2007

Soup Season


I'm slightly frustrated as I already typed out this post and had it ready before Blogger went down and deleted everything. So, this is going to be much shorter then the first draft.

The soups is Savory White Bean and Corn Soup, or something along those lines. The recipe is from 20 minutes to dinner. It was good. Pretty kid friendly. I used white kidney beans as my white bean of choice. They have a slight potato flavor that is a little more kid pleasing.

Aside from the onion and garlic the rest of the ingredients were all pantry items. So, this is an easy soup to throw together on short notice. It's also very quick to cook.

I also made a batch of drop biscuits from The Joy of Vegan Baking. They were nice and soft inside with a slightly crunchy outside. I used one of the optional substitutions by using melted Earth Balance instead of canola oil. That gave the biscuits a nice buttery taste that went well with the soup. I'm looking forward to the leftovers for breakfast, toasted with a bit of Earth Balance and jam.

The recipe state that it will yield 24 walnut sized drop biscuits. I don't think mine were much larger then a walnut but I only ended up with 12. Still, 12 biscuits is more then enough for my house.

I also made a batch of cookies from Dreena Burtons new book, Eat, Drink and Be Vegan. They are a chocolate, chocolate chip with peanut butter swirled through. They were tasty. Peanut butter isn't my most favorite but everyone seemed to really enjoy these.

I love how Dreena's cookie recipes only yield 1 dozen. Unless I'm baking for an event, I don't need more then 12 cookies in our house.

This week Isaac is studying apples. So, expect some baked apple treats at some point.

No comments: