Friday, October 12, 2007

Chreese pizza and some better things

We really like Road's End mac and Chreese. So when I came across a bunch of packets of mozzarella chreese powder at GTM I was stoked. We've only ever had cheddar and only on pasta.

The back of the chreese packet recommends using 3 packets of mozzarella chreese for one pizza, so that's what I did. I gagged a little when I was chewing my first, and last, bite. Joe didn't look much better off. Ramsey didn't seem to care. (I can't figure out her palate) Isaac said that the pizza tasted funny but he still finished. (He had a brand new video game and I believe he was rushing so that he could play.)

Lucky for me and Joe, I had used the dough recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance. Isa's recipe make enough dough for two pizzas or in our house one pizza and a batch of bread sticks. Joe and I ate the bread sticks with the remaining pizza sauce.

Still love chreese but it will be remaining in the pasta realm only.


For dinner last night we had our first squash of the season. Butternut squash is our favorite. All I do is oil a cookie sheet and place on the sliced pieces of squash. I rub the top of the pieces with oil and dump on a ton of chopped garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and baked until done.

We usually like our squash a little more crispy and brownish but dinner was late and we were hungry. The dinner was rounded out with some steamed broccoli and some Celebrity Adzuki Bean Cakes that I always have on hand in the freezer.

Yesterday I also picked up my copy of The Joy of Vegan Baking. If you can't tell from reading this blog, I love to bake! I could not stop drooling when skimming through the recipes. I had to try something out.

As luck would have it today was our co-op pickup and I wanted to bring some good eats to share. I wanted something sort of simple but tasty. I narrowed it down to a few muffin recipes and my ultimate decision Pumpkin Bread.

This stuff is amazing. I'm not a giant cloves person, so I think I'll scale that measurement down by 1/4 tsp. but I'm still in love. The flavor and texture is just wonderful. When you are holding a piece of the bread it doesn't crumble and fall all over and the crust is divine. Usually it's only brownie or other bar cookie crusts that I covet. I was dying to cut all the edges off of my loaves and hoard them.

I'm so excited to see so many old family favorite cookie recipes veganized in The Joy of Vegan Baking. There's also so many mouth watering new ideas to try. I'm positive it would be negligent of me to just up and foist these baked goods on my family at Thanksgiving and Christmas without a proper taste test first. So, I'm shouldering the burden of pre-holiday test baking.

No comments: